JA Finance Park Virtual will provide students hands-on lessons in personal finance management. This in-school classroom based program provides a first-hand understanding of the economic issues they will face upon high school graduation.
This authentic assessment consists of teacher-led lessons along with JA volunteer-led sessions – each offering a unique learning objective that builds on previous knowledge. When students arrive to the virtual simulation they receive a life scenario including a job, salary, and family situation to use as the basis of their simulation experience. With their "real-life avatars", they learn how to construct and adhere to a personal budget – including housing, food, savings, transportation, entertainment, health care, utilities, clothing, and education.
Approximately 1,400 students (7th – 12th grade) will participate in JA Finance Park Virtual this year as they prepare to enter a world of personal, academic and financial choices. Students participating in JA Finance Park Virtual will:
- Learn and implement personal budgeting processes
- Understand the costs, benefits, and risks of using credit
- Explore the benefits of saving and investing
- Acquire an understanding of the financial markets
- Utilize mathematical skills to guide income, spending, saving and investment decisions
- Explore career opportunities that align with personal abilities, interests, work preferences; research the educational requirements for specific occupations
To request JA Finance Park Virtual, click here.