Junior Achievement of Northern New England (JANNE) provides a unique educational experience that helps students understand and appreciate the business world that awaits them. Volunteers are the keystone to JANNE's past, present and future successes. It is the volunteers who bring the workplace into the classrooms and teach the interactive lessons that motivate students. JA volunteers provide students with an understanding of economic and financial literacy concepts and help to strengthen students' creative problem-solving and life skills. Exposure to a dedicated JA volunteer helps to motivate students to stay in school and encourages them to pursue higher education and careers in business.
During the 2011-2012 school year, over 1,100 volunteers delivered JANNE programs to over 36,000 students in more than 200 schools and through partnerships with over 100 after-school organizations.
If you would like to volunteer with JANNE as an individual, there are a few things you will need to do in advance of entering the classroom:
- Complete a volunteer information and code of conduct form.
- Attend a 30-45 minute training session by JANNE staff or complete the JA on-line training (enter code 100901 for Boston).
- Agree to facilitate 5 sessions (45 minute long) or 6-8 sessions (60 minutes long) for elementary school programs.
- Receive your JA program kit (includes detailed lesson plans, activities, posters, name tags and everything else you need to have a successful experience).
- Visit your classroom teacher to observe the class atmosphere (optional) and arrange a day and time for the program that fits your schedule.
- With the support of your classroom teacher (required to remain in the room to assist you) deliver an interactive, hands-on lesson to students.
How much time will this take?
- Preparation time: 20-45 minutes
- Travel time: varies depending on school location
- Classroom time: 30-40 minutes for elementary school programs and 45-60 minutes for middle and high school programs
If you would like to volunteer with JANNE as a company through JA in a Day, please contact Susan Green at firstname.lastname@example.org.
JA in a Day is a fun, intensive crash course on business and economic concepts for elementary school students, taught by the employees of a Junior Achievement of Northern New England (JANNE) corporate partner. JA’s traditional elementary school curricula is condensed into one, action-packed and exciting day-long experience. Students learn basic economic principles, are exposed to concepts such as needs and wants, spending and earning, jobs within the community, taxes, voting, and being responsible consumers.
The corporate volunteers receive advanced training on the curricula, are provided turn-key lessons, and team-teach with each other in specific classrooms alongside the classroom teacher. JA in a Day provides teachers and students with hands-on, interactive learning activities that tie into their social studies curricula and provides JANNE corporate sponsors a unique and rewarding team-building experience
We welcome the opportunity to discuss how you can participate in educating tomorrow's work force by becoming a classroom volunteer. You may volunteer at a school near your business or in your hometown. Contact our office to find out the schools that need volunteers and the programs they have requested.